Characterize compounds from complex samples
The analytical chemistry platform is composed of adaptable chromatographic equipments set and a Raman spectrometer for routine or more specific analyses. Through the identification and quantification of chemical compounds from complex samples, it allows a better understanding and measurement of the efficiency of the processes implemented by the Chair of Biotechnology. The platform is composed of a wide variety of chromatographic apparatus: gas, liquid or ion chromatography. This provides a wide range of analysable molecules from biotechnologies: organic acids, sugars, alcohols, phenols, lipids, inorganic ions and light gases in particular.
The separation mechanisms used are intended to be as adaptable as possible: reverse phase (RP), non-aqueous reverse phase (NARP), hydrophilic interaction chromatography (HILIC) or ion exchange.
- HPLC-RI and HPLC-FLD - High-performance liquid chromatographic analysis two-channels equipped with refractive index and fluorescence detectors (Ultimate 3000, Thermo Fisher Scientific) - Determination of organic acids, monosaccharides and alcohols in the g/L range.
- UHPLC-UV-MS - Ultra high performance liquid chromatographic analysis equipped with a UV-Visible detector and a single quadrupole mass spectrometer (Ultimate 3000 and MSQ Plus, Thermo Fisher Scientific) - Versatile tool used for aldehydes, amines, phenols, sugars.
- TIMS-TOF - Liquid chromatographic analysis UHPLC (Elute OLE, Bruker) coupled to a high-resolution QToF mass spectrometer with IMS ion mobility - Tool for the quantification of trace compounds in complex biological matrices and high-throughput screening of unknown or suspected molecules
- IC - Ion chromatographic analysis two channels with eluent generators and conductivity detectors (ICS-5000+, Thermo Fisher Scientific) - Quantification of organic acids, inorganic anions and cations.
- GC-MS/MS - Gas chromatographic analysis coupled with FID and triple quadrupole mass spectrometer (GC-2010Plus and GCMS TQ-8040, Shimadzu) - Quantification of fatty acids, phenols and some aldehydes.
- µ-GC - Gas chromatographic analysis, microchromatograph with three modules (μ-GC 490, Agilent) - On-line analysis on laboratory pilots or off-line via sampling bags, allows the quantification of permanent gases and light hydrocarbons.
- Spectromètre Raman, equipped with a 993 nm excitation laser (Kaiser Raman RXN2 1000, Endress Hauser). 4-channel analyzer, equipped with immersion and non-contact probes for in-situ monitoring of bioprocesses.
Examples of applications
- Determination of lipid profiles extracted from microalgae.
- Determination of the composition of lignocellulosic biomass, determination of structural sugars.
- Follow-up of an alcoholic fermentation process by the determination of mono or di-saccharides and major metabolites.
- Determination of the composition of biogas, biomethane, syngas and biohydrogen.
- Measurement of nutrient consumption during the growth of microalgae.
- Measurement of product purity and determination of impurities for purification processes.